The National Book Critics Circle announced the finalists for their 2015 book awards. The winners will be announced on March 17, 2015 at the New School in New York.
Wendell Berry is the recipient of the Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award. Kirstin Valdez Quade‘s story collection, Night at the Fiestas, has won the third annual John Leonard Prize. Carlos Lozada, associate editor and nonfiction book critic at The Washington Post, will receive the 2015 Nona Balakian Citation for Excellence in Reviewing.
The fiction finalists are:
1. The Sellout by Paul Beatty
2. Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
3. The Story of My Teeth by Valeria Luiselli
4. The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra
5. Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh
The non-fiction finalists are:
1. SPQR: A History of Rome by Mary Beard
2. Give Us the Ballot: The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America by Ari Berman
3. Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy
4. Dreamland: The True Story of America’s Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones
5. What the Eye Hears: A History of Tap Dancing by Brian Seibert
Follow this link for the complete listings in autobiography, biography, criticism, and poetry.